Thursday, January 12, 2012

A moment in Motherhood

Motherhood... there is nothing quite like it really.  So natural and yet so surreal.  I mean there are mothers everywhere I look and all across the globe.  These mothers are from different cultures, they speak different languages, they might be foster moms or moms of adopted children and they might even have different backgrounds or values than me, but we all share a common bond: waking up everyday to those precious little people who call us 'mom'.  I had a pivotal 'mother' moment tonight, heck let's call it a 'parenting' moment for those men reading... either way, it was a moment that I hope that I'll never forget. 

Chephren started swimming lessons tonight.  For the first time ever.  I know what you are thinking: the DEPRIVATION!  Hahaha... the thing is, the kid is a fish and I have taken him swimming plenty in the past three years.  I just didn't see the point of paying for mom and baby lessons when I could give him that same experience myself.  Sooo, I waited.  I waited until he was old enough for an 'unparented' class.  Now, at three, I am pretty sure he was the only 'first timer' in his class.


Swimming in Maui - NOT a lesson :)

The class began in a state of complete and utter chaos... starting with 10 very young children and their mothers clamoring around the instructors trying to figure out who goes where.  Then there was the embarrassed pause by the poor teacher who didn't even want to attempt to pronounce his name (and really, who does?  It is just part of his path my friends, and YES, I am aware that I created this.  You pronounce it Kefren by the way... don't ask me about the spelling, talk to Parks Canada, or the Egyptians for that matter... but I am getting way off topic).   Anyway, the brave swimming teachers finally got the little ones sorted (it's like herding cats!) and we were underway. (phew!)

Lo and behold, what do we have here?  I think we have ourselves a waver!  What's that?  You don't know what a waver is?  Sure ya do -- it's that little kid that stands in the front row of the Christmas concert (or in this case the swimming class) and could absolutely CARE LESS about doing the proper actions because they can't stop waving to their adoring fans in the crowd (enter = me... and his beloved Grammy).  Yup, we were encouraging it.  But you should have seen the SHIT EATING GRIN on this kid's face!!! 

Truly a moment to remember!  And a herd of wild horses couldn't keep me away from this kid's first concert... and this time, I'm bringing my video camera.

Here's to parenting (and gifts from the Universe).

Marebare xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment