Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pick Yer Battles

So, after being inspired by Amy over at '100 Changes for the Better' I have been trying to make my own '100 Changes'.  So, a few weeks ago I started unplugging some of the appliances that weren't in use in order to stop them from drawing extra power (even when they're off).  All was going fine as I quietly continued to unplug everything in sight, until last night my husband asked me about it. 

T: "Why do you unplug the coffee maker every day?"
M: "Oh, to help cut down on power usage."
T: (after near-fainting, pulling his hands through his hair - classic stressed-out Trent manoever by the way, and gesturing towards the sky at his higher-power, who, I am sure would be on my side about this issue, but anyways...) "You're kidding right?"
M: "Nope."
T: (more incredulous gesturing, and then, composing himself) "Well, I would appreciate it if you would stop it okay?"

Now, I am reknowned for my inability to function in the mornings, especially before my coffee, which, he kindly makes for me every morning and often brings me a cup just to get me out of bed... think Folger's commercial (don't worry, we don't drink Folgers).... So I ask you... is this really worth the fight? 

Sorry earth, we are letting him have this one...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~ Jonathan Kozol

Ciao!

Marebare xoxo

6 comments:

  1. Ha! A remarkably similar scene played out over here a few months back.

    Let's just say that my boyfriend, who has serious back problems, was really not OK with having to yell for me to come flip the switch before the computer or television would work! I, like you, caved on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband wasn't impressed with the 200 feet he had to walk each morning to retrieve his underwear, which had blown away after I attempted to start line drying all of our clothes. Mother nature only blew away his clothes and no one else's! So I stopped line drying his clothing and it all goes through the money hungry dryer.
    Your description of your hubby's reaction is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ba ha ha ha!!! I can't stop laughing at your description of Trent's response!!

    I used to shut actual breakers off to outlets that were not often used... until a significant other went to start his vehicle on a -35C morning and found that it was plugged into a powerless outlet!! I took some flack for that one and haven't done it since...

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well ladies, I am glad I am not the only one who 'caves' to the wonderful men in our lives... I guess sometimes compromising = happiness! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Awesome! You are funny!! Has it been hard to break the habit? I love that the guy in the photo kind of looks like Trent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Yoga for Mommies:
    -Thanks for the kind words! And no, it hasn't been hard to break the habit, I don't think that it was 'hard wired' in me yet!
    We should get together for a coffee/playdate one of these days, I would love to meet the Shelbster! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete