Monday, May 3, 2010

Mind over Matter (aka Tofu)

Trent and I had an interesting 'debate' yesterday... about tofu of all things.  You see, a few years ago, I was really struggling with my health and I took it upon myself to try to remedy the situation through lifestyle choices.  Out of desperation, I decided to become a vegan literally overnight and tofu was thrust into my life in a big way.  I didn't like it.  At ALL.  I tried, really I did, but I just couldn't wrap my head around it.  As such, I only lasted about six months living as a vegan before I gave up.  I did feel quite a bit better during that time though.  Anyway, as you know from my previous blog entries, I am reducing my meat intake as both a cost-saving and an eco-strategy in my project.  This time around however, I am finding that I really, sincerely, LOVE tofu.  I especially love it curried, or smoked, or BBQ'd.  It is just delicious.  Seriously.

While my son is open to the tofu idea (and loves it), my husband is totally disgusted with the idea.  He has tried it whenever I've cooked it, but he refuses to like it.  I say 'refuses' because we determined in our debate yesterday that the power of the mind can (and likely does) affect which foods we find tasty.  Trent thinks that I have 'decided' to like tofu this time around because I believe so strongly in its benefits (saving money, saving the environment, good for my health, etc.).  Contrarily, I think that he has 'decided' to hate it... just out of principle.  Why does tofu have such a bad rap anyway?  I will admit that if it isn't prepared correctly it can be a bit of a mushy disaster, but so can a lot of other foods... Anyway, if you haven't tried tofu in a while, give it another shot, and with an OPEN mind this time.  The environment, your body and your wallet will thank you!

Happy cooking!

Marebare

1 comment:

  1. I personally love tofu, but for the naysayers, what about marinating it, breading with panko, and baking?

    ReplyDelete