Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A day on the town

What a rush being a part of a community can be!  As I have alluded to in previous posts, my family and I live quite a ways out of town... like about 20 km or so from the nearest town (and it is a just that, a small farming town - we are about 50 km away from the 'big city').  While there are definite advantages to living out in the 'boonies' (HUGE garden, lots of room to bike, run, ski & play, easy composting, etc.) one of the main limitations of living out here is the necessity to rely on a vehicle to get us back and forth to/from 'civilization'.  (Why do they call it that anyway?  I don't live there but I would consider myself quite civilized nonetheless!).  Anyway, now that it is spring, and given that we are trying to live as simply and as thriftily as possible these days, I have been biking a lot these days, sometimes into town and back to run errands, get groceries, etc.  My parents do the same thing and we all agree that it is a really great way to get outside and get some exercise.  (My husband doesn't bike if he can help it.  He suffers from ESAS* which doesn't allow him to bike without copious amounts of swearing and belly aching).  Unfortunately, my rides into town have to be limited to the weekends, as the roads just aren't safe enough to pull my son in the bike trailer... although he just adores to ride in there. 

Today, inspired by the spring weather and the promise of sunshine, I threw my bike and bike trailer into my vehicle and drove into town.  I parked on main street (such an adorable little street) and rode my bike all over town running errands, with Chephren in tow of course!  We went to the post office, the bank, the library (that was a huge hit) and the grocery store.  While it isn't a perfect solution to my problem, it was a great way to spend the morning and left us both in super high spirits!

Here is to riding bikes and getting out on the town!

“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.”  - H. G. Wells


Marebare :)

*ESAS: Extremely Sensitive Ass Syndrome

No comments:

Post a Comment