Monday, February 8, 2010

A really neat quiz...

I will admit that I am a bit brain-dead today, so I thought that instead of rambling on about the goings-on of my life and experiences, I would do some 'stumbling' around on the internet looking for some unique 'Marebare Necessities' related content. 

Success!  The website:  Cool Tools for Greener Living has a list of neat environmental quizzes that you can do...  I did most of them, and my favorite by far was the 'Environmental Footprint' one.  It is a very thorough questionnaire that really makes you question your day-to-day habits and practices.  I am not going to disclose my results here, but suffice it to say that although I am doing slightly better than our 'national average' in most categories, I could still be doing A LOT better!  It really made me think about what other changes I could be making on a daily basis to help reduce my environmental footprint. 

As an aside, I just want to say that there was a time when looking at sites such as these ones would have honestly given me an anxiety attack, or worse, nightmares.  I think it is because I felt so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things - much like the conversation I shared with you between Cheryle and I in previous posts.  Lately though, I have come to realize that it is a matter of perspective.  It is not realistic to expect yourself (or anyone else around you for that matter) to be perfect.  Alternatively, I would suggest that you could aspire to be a slightly better version of yourself.  In other words, small changes can have a great impact in the long run.  Making smaller changes (rather than gigantic ones), also makes these new behaviors more likely to last over the long term.  I guess what I am trying to say is, try not to get overwhelmed by the negative facts that you will likely see on these sites.  Instead, try to focus in on what you are doing right and build on that...  That is how I choose to look at it anyway.  So, if you have some time, try some of the quizzes, they really are pretty cool!

The earth is what we all have in common. - Wendell Berry Author, farmer, cultural critic


Sweet Dreams,

Marebare :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment