Friday, February 26, 2010

How many days until spring?

I swear that counter's not moving!  Not that I am miserable or anything, but it just seems that everytime I log on the number hasn't changed.  I guess it could be that I feel like I have been 'living with less' for longer than just forty-some-odd days... and I still miss Starbucks...

On the plus side, a lot of other changes are already feeling like 'routine'.  Baking bread on the weekends, planning my laundry days according to the weather, and bringing along my thermos and my snacks wherever I go are all feeling really 'normal' to me.  I have even been stopping by the thrift store weekly to see what they have for fabric (I am accepting fabric donations by the way, so if have any lying around that you are not planning on using, lemme know!)  In other living with less news, after cleaning out my closet I made note of a few items that were on the bubble (clothes that I like but don't wear as often as I should), so if you see me wearing some questionable outfit combinations, know that I am just trying to 'spread the love' admist all of the items in my wardrobe (otherwise they are going to the chop! aka consignment store).

I have also started thinking about planning my garden this spring.  It must be the amazing weather that we have been enjoying here in Edmonton.  I honestly feel that my body has been literally drinking in the sunlight that we have been having the past few days.  I love this time of year, when you can literally sense that spring is on its way... and then WHAM! - we are often dealt with another round (or two, or three) of nasty, cold, bitter winter.  BUT, for now, I will soak up the sun as much as I can and take comfort in knowing that we are getting closer to spring with each passing day.

Tomorrow, we are having a February Thanksgiving (if only just to get rid of one of the two Turkeys that has been taking up space in my freezer).  In all seriousness though, I think that it is more than okay to celebrate occasions like Thanksgiving more than once (or even twice a year).  So gather up your friends and loved ones and give thanks around a Turkey near you one day soon! 

Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day. ~Robert Caspar Lintner

On that note: Happy Un-Thanksgiving to One and All!

Marebare :)

3 comments:

  1. I stared down the voluntary simplicity road about 20 years ago. And each time I took a step in that direction people around me acted like I was totally off my rocker... and I often agreed! But 95 times out of 100 I have come to the conclusion that the "normal" approach is really crazy, and the "radical" approach is really normal!

    BTW - I don't know the weather patterns in Edmonton, but here in Denver the conventional gardening wisdom is that you have to have the cool weather stuff planted by St. Patrick's Day (March 18). I usually plant the spinach in the fall and winter it over, but I've been out preparing the plot for the snow peas and will probably plant them today or tomorrow.

    Best to you on this adventure! I'm enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am envious of your longer growing season! The ground is still very, very frozen up where I am, and we are happy if we plant anything by the second or third week in MAY! However, I am trying to twist my husband's arm into helping me build a pseudo-green house this spring so I will keep you posted as to how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... maybe all you need is a simple cold frame. I sort of have the ghetto alternative with a raised garden plot covered in frost cloth. I scatter old milk jugs full of water to act as thermal mass and absorb the sun.

    But if you're just starting out you should probably stick with summer gardening until you get the hang of it.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete